2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 teaspoon cumin (ground or seeds)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 pound of thick-cut bacon
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 green peppers, stemmed and sliced
3 dried red chiles, sliced
2 onions, diced
4 carrots, sliced thinly
8-10 tomatoes quartered
8-10 garlic cloves, minced
4 tablespoons chili powder
1 cup beer (we used a stout, however anything works!)
Greek Yogurt for serving
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high.
2. Season beef with salt and pepper, add it to the pot and brown it.
3. As its browning, break up with wooden spoon and stir gently until it loses its raw color, around 6-8 minutes.
4. Stir in cumin and oregano.
5. When cooked through, drain off some of the liquid.
6. In large skillet over medium-high heat, add bacon and cook, turning over until it begins to brown, around 4 minutes.
7. Remove from heat to a plate with paper-towels.
8. After several minutes, chop finely.
9. Add beef and bacon to crock pot with remaining ingredients (except Greek yogurt) and stir until thoroughly combined.
10. Set Crock to low and go about your business for 5-6 hours.
11. Garnish with Greek Yogurt or sour cream.